5/1/16

Walking in Washington

While I'm not a fan of motel rooms, this one hasn't been bad. It's located in a surprisingly quiet area...surprising because it's just off a big main drag and business district in the city of Vancouver. The location has made it possible for me to walk to most everything, and especially my favorite Oregon grocery, Fred Meyer. "Freddies" is owned by Kroger now, but Fred Meyer was once a real person back in the day when he was actually alive. It used to be advertised as your "one-stop shopping center" because, honestly, Freddies has everything.

Last night when I got back from class, I walked over there to get my dinner from the deli. I got a turkey pesto wrap that was quite tasty, and then I happened to wander by the bakery...not on my way, you understand...it just popped up out of nowhere. They had little packages of chocolate-dipped strawberries, four to a package. Of course, I thought that would make a lovely dessert to go with my wrap. And it's fruit, right? And dark chocolate! Could anything be healthier? Case closed.


Those aren't mine. I don't have any pictures of mine. You can probably guess why. In my defense, I'll say they actually made it back to the room before I devoured them. And in a moment of extreme self-restraint, I actually ate the wrap first.

So all of that to say that I've walked the same route, up the street and back down, which has consistently earned me about 4k steps. And on the way, as you might guess, I've taken pictures of every blooming thing and some that aren't blooming. Here's what Washington has to offer in the way of flowers. This, of course, is common red clover.


Azaleas...


Pansies. My dear departed mother-in-law liked to say they look like little girls bending over showing off their panties. 


This is photinia. It grows into a huge hedge. If it isn't properly maintained it will get tall and leggy and fall over. Ask me how I know.


Here's another one of those naughty wild cucumbers growing up over a hedge where it shouldn't.


My nose has been suspicious that the wild grasses and weeds are beginning to bloom. It's true. I've been sneezing like crazy.


 

My Like That Garden app identified this as "bird vetch".


I've walked the same path all three days. The first day when I came to my turn-around point, I noticed a bridge off to the right. "Oh," I say to myself, "a lovely stream or river or creek of some kind. I'll just walk over there. It'll be charming!" Yes, if you like concrete.


The first two days I walked, the weather was cloudy, threatening, and a little chilly. I noticed these yellow guys trying to open. None were actually open so I couldn't get a look at them.


Their stem was too tall to be a common dandelion. Try not to notice the trash in this next image. (Honestly, people can be such swine.)


Today is lovely and the sun is shining. These were all open this morning. My app identifies them as "goat's beard." If you want to get all fancy, you can call them tragopogon dubius.


So I've probably killed all the time I can afford now. Time to pack up and clear out. One more day. 

As I've shared with some of you, I'm anxious to get my project home where I will...against all instructions...start sewing it together. Those loose little bits and pieces are making me weird, nervous, and thirsty. I have an urgent need to start sewing things together. Ann's way of working on these is to audition all of her fabrics first, not sewing anything together until she's certain she has the best mix. I just can't take my sewing that seriously, and so when it comes to fabric selection, I'm just not that hard core. Probably that dooms me to a life of mediocrity, but at least I'll be smiling while I'm sewing. And I'll be petting kitties too.

7 comments:

quiltzyx said...

Oh my. You're away from home, and STILL opted not to eat dessert first! You have way more restraint than I do! And congrats on all those steps too.
What your MIL said about the pansies reminds me of a book I used to have with the title "Don't Bend Over in the Garden Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes"! (Or something close to that anyway)
It's your quilt and you can finish however you want to. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Quilting Babcia said...

And those kitties will certainly need lots of TLC when you get back home! I love how those chairs are looking BTW. Stitch away!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yes strawberries and dark chocolate are nutritious - and should have been eaten first in my book. Sure those furkids are missing Mom - extra belly rubs and ear twitches.

Lyndsey said...

I've just caught up with all your posts of your trip, (reading in reverse order). It sound fun but I'm with you, I start sewing and add in fabrics as I go. If I chose them all at the beginning I only change my mind later (or regret the choice). The course looks interesting but complicated, but your commentary has been clear enough to follow and I can see how this works to give a fabulous quilt. Downside is my brain is in a whirl and I might need to lie down when I've written this.
Mmmmm strawberries and chocolate and so much restraint. I'm surprised they made it back from the shop yet alone got eaten as dessert! I bet your mom was like mine and drummed into you not to eat whilst walking down the road.

Dana Gaffney said...

Isn't that the way we all supposed to make things? Learn what you can, keep what you like, then do it your way? I think that makes it more fun for you too.

gpc said...

Wow, I am not willing to categorize you as mediocre -- that raises the bar far too high for me to reach even in my fantasy life, because I will never live long enough to reach your level of expertise. I prefer to think of the others as neurotic artists, who may do lovely work but at the expense of reason. And you can imagine how highly I value reason. Nearly as highly as I value chocolate covered strawberries.

Kate said...

I love the shot of the pansies, very pretty. I'm with you, I'd rather stitch then play endlessly with fabric selection.