3/1/15

March Goals and Progress Report

Holy moly! Here we are into March already! Spring is coming. Don't you worry.

Time to check in on myself and see how my February goals went.

Quilting and Flimsies

1. Quilt and bind the Aspen Tree quilt. Complete!



This one now resides with a friend from high school who lives in Colorado. She gave me the perfect new name for it when she said it reminded her of her state's motto: Colorful Colorado. "Colorful Colorado" it is!

2. Bring the Dream Machines quilt to flimsy stage. Complete!


The top is complete, but still much to do before it can be marked in the "finished" column.

Swaps and Monthly Challenges

3. I've been participating in:

Project QUILTING

There were two challenges during the month of February, and my plan was to participate in both. The first challenge theme was "Orphan Blocks and UFO's". This is what I came up with:


made with blocks from this sad little UFO.


The theme for the second challenge was "Hearts". The second theme didn't appeal to me, and so I didn't participate in that one. Sooooo, I guess that makes it Half Complete.


4. My February plan for the Let's Book It challenge was the same one I had in mind in January, even though I changed my mind and did something else. And then February came and nearly went, and I still didn't want to do it. A change of plans was obviously in order since it was clear that I really didn't want to do that project. I told the story of how the start of this change-of-plans project was born. You can read it at the bottom of this post, if you're interested. For the sake of brevity, I'll just say here that I decided on this Chicken Buffet quilt instead. So far, I have the first of twelve blocks completed. I've had the pattern absolutely forEVER, and now it's a WIP thanks to Sharon and the Let's Book It challenge. So I'm marking this one, Complete!



5. Of course, I always want to participate in:



Join me on the Block Lotto Blog
blocklotto.com
February's block was this one, called "Cupid's Arrow". Complete!


6. As is my habit, I'm two month's behind in:

RSC 15

With that in mind, my goal for February is to make the first two blocks in blue and pink. Complete!




7. And I'll need to make two quilt blocks for our hostess in this month's modern block bee. Complete!


This month, our hostess requested our members each make two of this block



Pretty, huh? If you like this block, you can find the tutorial for it right here.

WIP's

8. I've been chipping away at the oldest of the old projects in my sewing room. This month, I'd like to continue on with a quilt I haven't worked on since December of 2013

To that end, Section 1 is Complete!



9. Make four more blocks for Lisa's Retirement Quilt. (My goal is to make one per week.) Complete!


Not bad! All my regular projects were checked off. But you know my list isn't complete until I've given myself something for:


10. With that in mind, the last thing on my list will be to quilt Sew Helpful. No Progress.


Bummer. No bonus points for me this month. I'm drying my tears though because March is here and it's a long month.



There's lots of real estate on the March calendar, but I have some special projects planned in March. You know I always say I'm going to keep my list short, and then it just goes on and on and on. Here's what I have on my list of things to do:

Quilting and Flimsies

1. Quilt and Bind Psycatdelic:


That's a big one. It's going to take a lot of time.

2. A new project that I'm calling "Rubber Duckie". It's a baby quilt for a dear friend's first grandchild, and I want to get the top to flimsy stage during the month of March. Here's the pattern image:


I have my fabrics chosen, washed, ironed, and ready for cutting, and so it's time to get this one started.

3. There are still two more challenges left in:

Project QUILTING

My plan at this writing is to participate in both, but I'll wait and see what the themes are before deciding for sure.

4. I'll need to make two blocks for my bee hostess in:


I don't know at this writing what blocks I'll be making this month, but this one is a given.

5. I always enjoy participating in:

This month I'm starting fresh with a plan to make a small project from this book:


I have lots of pretty variegated threads and so with a nod to spring, my plan is to make this project:


6. Time's running out on this swap, and so I absolutely must get something made in March for:



Quilts for this swap can be no more than 80 inches around the perimeter. I have a pattern picked out, but I'll need to modify it significantly to fit within the 80-inch limit. I'll tell you more when I get there.

7. I'm hoping to get a start on my guild's challenge. Again, I have a pattern picked out, but I'm going to need to modify it again to fit within the size range. The challenge is called N+C+Z, which stands for Neutral (fabrics from a range of neutrals), plus one Color, plus one Zinger (something bright and eye-catching).  And when I get started on this one, I'll say more about it.

WIP's

8. Make four more blocks for Lisa's Retirement Quilt. I'm simply continuing on with my goal of making one per week. I have five of 56 completed so far. When I have two more made, I'll have a whole row completed!


9. Make the next door for the Doors of Ireland quilt...this one:



10. Still hoping to get the quilting finished for Sew Helpful (pictured above). And since I didn't get any bonus points this month, I'm hungry from them now.

So that's a big enough list for a long month. Time to get going. This evening, we're meeting the kids to see Matthew and Valerie's place. Valerie took a 1940's'era bungalow down to the studs last year and completely renovated it. That's where she and Matthew are living now, and I've been dying to see it. Also, we're going to dinner to celebrate Valerie's March 3rd birthday. I have some little things for her...one I've only given you a peek at. I'll be able to reveal the whole thing tomorrow.

It's a busy sewing Sunday here. I hope you have some fun projects on your to-do list for today.

7 comments:

Kate said...

Wow, you did a lot in such a short month. Good luck with your March goals.

Andra Gayle said...

I love your RSC kitties! So cute! Looks like you have been incredibly productive!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Thanks for sharing you lists and accomplishments!! You movitvated me to write my own list of March goals....esp. becasue I have a week off for Spring Break andddd I'm feeling energetic again!! YAH!! (Continue to love your kitties and will be looking forward to that finish!)

CaroleM said...

Great job! You just made me realize that I need to catch up on the block of the month I've been participating in as the March block is released today and I haven't done February yet!

quiltzyx said...

As usual, I just say "WOW!!!" You did get a lot accomplished in February. As always, I'm looking forward to what you do this month!
Our guild challenge for this month is just to bring one fat quarter of "ugly" fabric in a brown paper bag. We'll then grab someone else's bag & make a quilt using it for April (I think). Should be fun!

Lyndsey said...

Great work for February. March is going to be another busy month, good luck.

Brown Family said...

You got a lot done in February.