10/19/14

Another Irish Door

Finally, I'm getting under way with the 8th of my Irish doors. I'm actually not sure how many of these I'm going to do. Originally, I thought I would do twelve, but I might decide only to do nine. Either way, today I got a start on Door #8.

This quilt has been sitting idle since way back in February. It's taken me all that time to decide how I wanted to attack this. When I finish one door, I choose the next one I'd like to make, and then hang it in my sewing room where I can look at it and ponder the best approach. This quilt would not seem complete to me if I didn't include this particular door:


And the block wouldn't seem complete without the sign above the door, "Mad Hatters Dingle". (In case you're wondering, "Dingle" refers to the location of this store on the Dingle Peninsula. It was one of the first places we visited when we journeyed to Ireland back in June of 2012.)

So I considered many options for the name: applique, embroidery, marker. None of those seemed viable options. I've cut some pretty tiny letters and appliqued them before, but these were simply too tiny to consider doing that. Embroidery seemed viable, but I wasn't at all sure I could embroider with enough precision to make it work. I decided against using marker early on. Then my good friend Sue L. consulted someone she knows who is apparently a font guru, and he was able to point me to the right font on my computer. This font is called "Swanky" and it can be found at fontdiner.com

With that knowledge, I decided I would try to print the name to fabric, but even that required some gnashing of teeth. I set aside these two Kona solids to use for my door block long ago.


And I've learned that when one prints to fabric, one must first pre-treat one's fabric with this Bubble Jet Set 2000 stuff. That is what ensures the ink will be permanent.


And I've had this sitting around for quite a while. Today, I was ready to give it a go. It's pretty simple to use. Just pour some into a flat dish and then saturate your fabric in it.


Let it sit for five minutes,


and then hang it to dry.


And I noticed just barely peeking out from under a sticker that the product can be used over and over again. I used a funnel and put the remainder back in the bottle.


While I was waiting for the fabric to dry, I got to work making this month's block for the Block Lotto. 


Join me on the Block Lotto Blog
blocklotto.com


I haven't participated in the Block Lotto for several months, and so I'm glad to be back in the Block Lotto saddle, so to speak. Here's the block for this month, called "Woven Bars".


When I finished with that, my pink fabric was dry. The next step was to iron it to a sheet of freezer paper and cut it to size. Then I tested the size and placement of my lettering. When I was satisfied, I printed it out, and Voila!


I'm going to applique the little top hat onto the "l" in "Dingle" to complete the sign.

Of course, I was grateful for the help of my little sewing buddy today. He walks on all of my fabrics and makes sure everything is done to purrfection.


The other part of this block that has had me thinking for a long time is the striped wall above the door. Should I applique it? Or should I strip piece it? In the end, I decided to strip piece it together. Here's how that ended up.


Then I sewed the top and bottom halves of the block together, completing the background. Now I just need to make the appliques. I've created a little draft template for myself, but I'm going to have to adjust things a little bit, obviously.


And if you look at the image at the top of the post, you'll see that the main door to the store was open, resulting in just a black hole in the middle of the image. I'm just sliding the right hand door to the middle and rearranging things a little to make this block work for the size constraints of my quilt. I have some more ideas about how to finish this block, but I'll save that for tomorrow.

And when that was finished, I was kind of tired of sewing, so I quit for the day. Obviously Smitty was tired too.


Smitty has decided that fall is a perfect time for snoozing next to the fireplace. And who can blame him?

17 comments:

gpc said...

Those doors made me want to go to Ireland. I can't wait to see the finished product! :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I think 9 doors makes for a good size memory quilt. Looking good so far. Ah, Smitty - such is a cat's life.

liniecat said...

Love it! Will you send the shop a picture of its completed 'door', I'd bet they'd be so chuffed to see it : )
cat approval again, so important lol

Jeanie said...

Thanks for the tip about the Bubble Jet fixer.... I hadn't heard about this before. Your door series is going to be really special....and of course when we talk about being special ....there's Smitty (Gracie too)!

Dana Gaffney said...

Oh, I forgot all about the doors and then pops up my favorite. I love those colors.

Ann said...

I love the way you are making this door block. The printing on fabric is brillant. Can't wait to see it finished.

Angie in SoCal said...

These doors are so intriguing. I really enjoy your post where you create them - and they're all so great. Thanks for sharing, Barbara.

Denise :) said...

How very clever! I like finding innovative ways to print on fabric. Will have to remember this -- the shop is looking great! And Smitty is such a love! :)

Tami C said...

I like the way this block is turning out! The Doors from Ireland will make such a wonderful memory quilt. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Diane Wild said...

Enchanted with those Ireland doors. That will be an awesome quilt. I feel like curling up with Smitty. Feeling a bit sleepy myself.

Kate said...

It's going to be another awesome Irish Door block.

Lynette said...

Love what you're doing for your Dingle door! It looks like that stuff works nicely - printing looks crisp and not faded? Very nice that you can funnel the left-overs back into the bottle.

Brown Family said...

Interesting process to print on fabric!.

quiltzyx said...

The printing looks terrific! And the stripes - great colors. I like the idea liniecat had about sending a picture to the shop when it's done too.

Ahh, curling up for a nap by the fireplace...and it was 89f here today....

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

great idea for a quilt

Dar said...

You've done a great job of creating a quilt block for the Dingle door. Love the colors you chose too. Your printing of the words is purrfect!

Celtic Thistle said...

What a great block Barbara! I love the stripes.

Thanks for linking up to New to Me too